Friday, July 27, 2007







THURSDAY - July 26, 2007

I stayed up way too late last night – Alan and I talked and I worked on this blog. I felt it this morning, I am tired. Worse yet, it is already raining outside.

Right now it is 11:30p Thursday night as I write about what I did today. Things get crazier and I have to laugh. Alan and I have commented that the trip just can’t seem to get any better. But, it does. Alan asked if I wanted to go in the Ford tent to look at the cars. Sure, why not I thought. Once in there I saw some Mustangs and concept cars. Jack Rousch was signing autographs near the door and we just walked by him. I wondered around looking at new cars for the future. Then, I saw a friend of mine, Finn Moller. Bob Hoover was walking with him so I shouted over to Finn. Fortunately, I have had a chance to meet Bob in the past, but I always enjoy talking to this amazing aviation legend.

Finn was shocked to see, what are you doing here he asked? Looking at airplanes….We talked for a few minutes and he asked about LeeAnn and how the baby is doing. I asked when he had come up and he said that morning with Gene (Cernan). I asked Finn if he would mind taking our picture with Bob and he said no problem. After all of the times I had met him I had never had my picture taken with him. Finn then introduced us to the other gentlemen standing in the group – Henry and Carroll. It took me about three seconds to realize it was Henry Ford (III) and Carroll Shelby. We continued to talk to Finn and then they headed out. Alan and I found ourselves laughing – yesterday it was Darrell Lowrance at the Lowrance booth and today Henry Ford at the Ford booth.

Our evening got even better!! For the first time, I got up close to the Goodyear blimp. In fact, I got so close I was actually able to climb inside the blimp. After that we walked over and took a helicopter ride. I have always wanted to ride in a helicopter but never had the chance. Alan had told me it would be like sitting in a lawn chair and lifting into the air - pretty accurate description.

This morning my friend Andy Millin called me to touch base. He is a big fan of Velocity aircraft and is 7 years into building one. Tonight a group of his buddies was having a BBQ at the tents. It was a chance to head to Camp Sholler and see what life in the campgrounds was like. I was impressed - a row of pop-up campers, tents and food, food, food. Alan and I found ourselves among a new group of friends. Andy and his wife, Theresa, greeted us with open arms, beer and burgers. The food was great and of course the conversation was about flying. As we sat the sky turned dreary and the rain began. We talked to John from Aurora, IL who has an RV6A. We talked to Steve, another EAA chapter member of Andy's. Everyone shared stories and adventures.

Most of today was spent moving much slower. We walked through the pavillions again. I am looking at GPSs with weather and really wanted to focus on the Avmap GPS. It is a pretty slick unit and they should have weather ready versions by september. Alan had to pick up his EAA hat that he had his tail number embroidered on.

This morning we explored the museum, had bratwursts for lunch (Johnsonville) and again found ourselves talking to people we did not know about flying. We walked the warbirds and went in search of the Van's tent to learn about those planes.

No comments: